Thursday, March 24, 2011

Best Ever Crumb Cake

   I am super-excited about today's post.This recipe was given to me by my friend June years ago.It was a cake that her mother made for her.I used to make it all of the time,then I lost the recipe!!I was so happy when she shared it with  me again!This is truly one of my favorite crumb cakes of all time,and it tastes like the delicious crumb cakes made in the great NY bakeries.It is extra-special to me because it was a favorite of my late father.I would make it every Easter for him,with extra crumbs.So here it is ,a great cake for your Easter table,made with extra love and crumbs for my dad.

Crumb Ingredients:
1 c. flour
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. butter,softened
Mix all of the ingredients together.Set aside.
***Double the crumb recipe if you like a lot of crumbs.That is what I do!

Cake Ingredients:
1/2 c. unsalted butter,softened
1 bar of cream cheese,softened(8 oz)
1-1/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. milk
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder


   In the bowl of your mixer,cream together the butter and cream cheese.Add the sugar,eggs and vanilla.Mix until combined.Add in the milk.In another bowl,mix together the flour,salt,baking soda and baking powder.Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture..Blend together well,but do not overmix!
  Grease a 13 x 9 square baking pan.Pour the batter into the pan.Spread an even layer of the crumb mixture over the cake,then form some of the crumb mixture into larger crumbs and place around the cake.You will see that the crumb mixture can easily be formed into any size crumb with your hands.
  Place the cake into the refrigerator for about 30 minutes so that the crumb topping hardens.Then bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.Let cool.Once cooled,sprinkle with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment